Oysters with Bacon, Cream, and Truffled Breadcrumbs
Yield serve 2-4 as an appetizer SERVINGS
- 6 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 3 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, melted, divided use
- ¼ cup finely sliced leeks
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Rock salt for cooking and serving
- 12 small oysters in the shell, such as Kushi, Hama Hama, or Blue Point
Recipe notesThis recipe for broiled oysters with bacon and truffled breadcrumbs is perfect for a party. The recipe comes together fast, so mise en place is a must.
- Cook the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, chop finely and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon truffle butter to a small skillet over medium heat; add leeks, saute until softened and translucent, remove from heat.
- To a small bowl add crème fraîche, lemon zest, bacon, and leeks; mix well, season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, pour remaining melted truffle butter over panko and stir to combine evenly. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler to high. Add 1 inch of rock salt to an oven-safe pan or casserole dish.
- Rinse oysters under cold water, scrub the shells clean if needed. Using a folded kitchen towel and an oyster knife, carefully open the oysters. (Place an oyster belly down on the towel with a layer of towel to protect your hand. Work the oyster knife into the hinge and twist to pop open, being careful not to spill any of the oyster’s liquid. Run the knife between the shells to release the top shell. Run the knife under the oyster, again being careful not to spill any of the oyster’s liquid, to detach the oyster from the bottom shell.) Nestle each oyster in the rock salt so they sit level.
- Remove the crème fraîche mixture from the refrigerator. Scoop out a rounded teaspoon-full and flatten slightly. Place on top of an oyster. Repeat with the rest of the oysters. (Depending on the size of oysters used, you may have a lot of extra crème fraiche mixture left over. This is delicious stirred into pasta, or on top of a baked potato.) Place the oysters in the oven and broil until crème fraîche mixture is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes. While the oysters are in the oven, prepare serving dish with a generous mound of rock salt.
- Sprinkle each oyster with a teaspoon of breadcrumb mixture and return to broil about 2 minutes more.
- Nestle oysters on the prepared rock salt in serving dish. Serve immediately.