Chorizo Rice Stuffing
This simple chorizo and basmati rice recipe from blogger Cherie Scott features fragrant spices for a unique poultry stuffing – great for garam masala poussin – that can also be enjoyed as a side dish. Fry leftovers with eggs for a tasty brinner or brunch.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1 package Chorizo Sausage, chopped into small chunks
- 4 tablespoons of ghee or Duck Fat
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 brown cardamom, semi-crushed to release flavor but not pods
- 8 black Malabar peppercorns, whole
- 1 large Turkish bay leaf
- 10 threads of saffron
- 1 ¾ cup of chicken stock
- Soak the rice in cold water for 15 minutes, drain well, and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed round cocotte or Dutch oven, sauté the onions in the ghee or duck fat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and stir frequently.
- Add the chopped chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes to release the flavors.
- Add the cardamom, large bay leaf, and peppercorns, then stir for 2 minutes mixing well with the chorizo.
- Add the rice and sauté with the mixture for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock and saffron and stir well.
- Bring to a boil on high heat and then lower to a simmer; cook, covered, for 15 minutes, or until all moisture is absorbed and rice is fluffy.