Easy Pasta Carbonara
- 1 large egg and 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- 4 ounces Applewood Smoked Slab Bacon, diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb spaghetti or linguini
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and cheeses. Season generously with black pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until the fat renders and bacon is nearly cooked through but not crispy, then add garlic and continue to sauté about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Put a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain pasta, setting aside about 1 cup of pasta water. Add drained pasta to the cheese/egg mixture, stirring with tongs to coat. Add bacon/garlic mixture, including the rendered fat. Add a bit of the reserved pasta water for creaminess, if needed. Serve immediately, garnished with extra cheese and a few turns of pepper, if desired.
Recipe Tips: If you prefer an unsmoked bacon, this preparation also works beautifully with our Ventrèche. Be sure to heat the serving bowls with hot water, then wipe dry just before dishing out the pasta. A simple salad and a crusty Italian loaf make this a quick complete meal.