Veal Medallions with Roquefort Sauce
Yield Serves 4 SERVINGS
- ½ Veal Striploin (about 3½ pounds), trimmed and cut into steaks, about 1” thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, divided use
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Fingerling potatoes, boiled, for serving
Recipe notesThis easy veal dish is pan-seared then simmered in white wine before cream and bleu cheese are added for a velvety sauce that comes together in minutes.
- Season veal steaks with salt and pepper on both sides then dust with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-high flame. Add veal steaks, and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove veal to a plate.
- To the same pan, add remaining tablespoon of ghee and shallots. Sauté until shallots are golden, about 4 minutes. Add wine to the pan, scraping up any browned bits; return veal and any accumulated juices to the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until wine is reduced and veal is cooked to medium, about 10-15 minutes. Remove medallions to a cutting board to rest.
- Raise the heat to medium and stir in cream, cook until thickened and bubbly about 5 minutes. Add Roquefort and stir until melted. Add parsley.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and a generous helping of sauce.