Seared Foie Gras with Green Papaya & Peanuts
Anita Lo chef bio | Yield: 4 | Cook Time: 15 minutes
In this recipe, seared foie gras is paired with hoisin sauce, and a bright salad of young green papaya and peanuts adds crunchy contrast.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced to a fine paste
- 1 Thai bird chile pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green papaya, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 Thai basil, cut into thin strips
- Coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 packages Foie Gras Slices, 4 slices total
- 1/2 cup Wondra flour
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
- Prepare the dressing: Combine the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and chili in a small bowl. Toss the green papaya and basil with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste and hold.
- In another small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce and water until smooth.
- Season the foie gras with salt and pepper then dredge it lightly in Wondra flour. When the pan is very hot, add the foie gras and lower the heat to medium-high. Sear until the foie gras slices are dark brown. Turn them over and cook on the other side until fully cooked but still soft to the touch.
- Transfer the foie gras to 4 serving plates. Top with the chopped peanuts and serve with the green papaya salad and a dab of thinned hoisin sauce.