Lamb Meatballs with Harissa-Yogurt Sauce
D'Artagnan | Yield: makes about 20 meatballs
This baked lamb meatball recipe comes together quickly. The pleasing crust and tender center are complemented by a creamy harissa-spiked yogurt.
- 2/3 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, harissa paste, and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine bread and milk in a small bowl, turning to coat. Soak for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a mixing bowl, add soaked bread, onion, garlic, parsley, lamb, egg, allspice, pepper flakes, cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Mix gently until completely combined. Be careful not to overwork.
- Divide mixture into 1-ounce portions, and using wet hands, roll into a ball shape. Place meatballs on a parchment-lined rimmed sheet pan.
- Bake until meatballs have a nice brown crust, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a ball reads 155 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- Rest meatballs for a few minutes then serve with harissa-yogurt sauce.