Wild Scottish Pheasant
Frozen / 1.75 lb avg
This product is currently unavailable.
Pheasant from weekend estate hunts in Scotland. These truly wild game birds forage and eat berries and heather, and get constant exercise, which gives their meat a distinctive flavor. Wild pheasant offers a richer flavor than its domesticated counterpart. Wild game is only available for a limited season each year.
Just the facts
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Subject to availability (sometimes hunters miss)
- Stock is generally available from October to February
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Serves one
- Game meat may occasionally contain the shot, so chew carefully
- Product of Great Britain
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
Lean game birds can do with a little brining before cooking, to help maintain moisture. After patting it dry, place the bird breast side up in the refrigerator overnight (do plan ahead for this) to dry out the skin so that it crisps when roasted. And start with a very hot oven for 15 minutes or so, then reduce the temperature and roast for 30 minutes. The three B’s, basting, barding and braising, are always useful when cooking lean game meat.