- Exclusively available at D’Artagnan
- Humanely raised in a stress-free environment
- Never caged or tethered
- 5 Freedoms compliant, a strict EU standard
- Male Charolais and Limousin breeds
- Raised to 6 months, a maximum of 450 pounds
- Milk-fed; 14 days on mother’s milk, then a high-quality natural milk formula
- No antibiotics or hormones
- Never irradiated or injected with any substance
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Product of France
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
We work with a cooperative of small-scale veal farms in Southwest France that raise Charolais and Limousin breeds, well-known as beef cattle. The veal calves are not simply a by-product of the dairy industry but are raised for their quality meat. To support their development and natural immunities, they get mother’s milk for two weeks before being weaned onto a milk-based diet.
The calves live in group housing, in open spaces with clean straw bedding, free to socialize with other calves in a sunlit, comfortable environment.
Arguably the most humane veal in the world, our French veal complies with the "5 Freedoms" statutes of the E.U., a guarantee that far exceeds the humane standards for veal in other countries. These are the freedom to express normal behavior; freedom from thirst, hunger and malnutrition; freedom from discomfort; freedom from pain, injury, and disease; freedom from fear and distress.