Suckling Pig, Whole Roasting Pig
Fall Sitewide Sale
15% OFF Orders $75+
Ends Sunday, October 27th. See details for restrictions.
Our suckling and roasting pigs are naturally raised on small farms without added antibiotics or hormones. They are perfect for a backyard party, whether spit-roasted over an open fire or grilled over hot coals.
- Select breeds: Duroc, Landrace and Yorkshire
- Raised on small family farms in the Midwest
- No added antibiotics or hormones
- Milk-fed for 3-4 weeks, then corn-based grain diet
- Delivered cleaned, eviscerated and trussed
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
Be sure to select the correct size suckling or roasting pig – one that fits your cooking method: grill, oven, rotisserie or roasting box and the size of your party. You should allow for 1 ½ pounds of pork per person.
Useful to keep in mind: suckling pigs that weigh less than 20 pounds generally fit in the average kitchen oven. Anything larger needs a spacious grill or smoker.
Our favorite recipe calls for marinating the pig in a citrusy mixture of orange and lime juices spiked with jalapenos, and then slow-roasting the pig over an open fire or in La Caja China, a Cuban roasting box.
If you don’t have a place to dig a pit or have a specialized implement like La Caja China, suckling pig can also be cooked in a high-heat oven. Just be sure you have an oven of a size that can accommodate the pig you are purchasing. Once roasted, the pork can be shredded, and it needs little more than a spicy mojo sauce for serving. Any way you choose to cook it, prepare for some of the moistest, most tender meat and crispy, addictive skin.