Morels in Cream
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 4
Morel mushrooms have the perfect honeycomb texture for soaking up decadent cream in this traditional recipe. Try the sauce over puffed pastry or toast, or even on pasta.
- 1lb fresh Morel Mushrooms
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Splash dry Sherry or Madeira
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Puff pastry vol-au-vents, or toasted brioche, for serving
- Thoroughly clean then trim morels. If large, cut in half.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add shallots and cook until just translucent. Add morels, gently turning to coat in shallot/butter mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Saute mushrooms for about 7 minutes, then stir in thyme leaves and lemon juice. Raise heat to medium-high. When lemon juice has evaporated, add sherry if using. Cook until sherry has evaporated.
- Turn heat back down to medium and stir in cream. Cook until mixture is thickened. Taste for seasoning and add salt, if needed. Pour hot mushroom mixture over puff pastry cups or toasted brioche. Serve immediately.