Cook Time 15 minutes
Yield 16 hors d'oeuvre SERVINGS
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Piment d' Espelette, plus more to taste
- 16 large shrimp, shelled, deveined, rinsed and pattted dry
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 packages sliced Jambon de Bayonne, each slice cut in half lengthwise to create strips
- Fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
Recipe notesThis easy skewer recipe highlights Basque flavors - shrimp, piment d'espelette and Jambon de Bayonne. Bake or grill them for party-perfect results in minutes.
- Soak 16 bamboo skewers in warm water. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, with rack in the center position.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic and 2 teaspoons piment d'Espelette. Heat until the garlic sizzles and browns lightly around the edges, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place each shrimp on a skewer, lengthwise so the shrimp is straightened out. Season shrimp with pepper and a pinch of piment d'Espelette, if desired. Set a rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- One at a time, lay the jambon de Bayonne on a flat work surface, short side toward you and roll tightly around shrimp. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Lay the shrimp on the prepared baking rack with at least 1/2 inch space between each one. Brush both sides with the reserved oil.
- Roast until shrimp are firm to the touch and lightly browned in places, about 8 minutes or so. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with fresh thyme and serve immediately.