Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies
- 10 slices Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ packed cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter, we used chunky
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- Maldon salt
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon slices to a cutting board and coarsely chop, set aside. Reserve ¼ cup of the rendered bacon fat, cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the reserved bacon fat, butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add peanut butter and vanilla bean paste; mix until evenly combined. Add egg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; continue to mix until evenly combined. Add flour and mix on low speed until just combined, be careful not to overmix.
- Remove bowl from the mixer and fold in about ¾ of the chopped bacon. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop 1½” balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space between each cookie. Gently press a wet fork into the top of each cookie to create a ribbed pattern. Top cookies with remaining bacon and flaky Maldon salt, if using.
- Bake until golden brown and soft set, about 12-15 minutes. Cool cookies on the sheet pans for about 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe tips: While excellent on their own, make them yours by adding your favorite mix-ins! Dark chocolate chunks, crushed up dried banana chips, and unsweetened coconut flakes come to mind as good additions.