Lemony Green Beans with Bacon & Shallots
- 2 pounds green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 8 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced and completely zested
- Blanch the beans: Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Bring a large pot of salted water to a low boil over medium-high heat. Blanch the green beans for about 2 minutes. Remove beans with a slotted spoon and place in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving the rendered fat in the pan. Chop bacon finely, set aside.
- Sauté shallots in the bacon fat until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Drain the green beans and add to the pan, tossing to coat in the fat; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until beans are tender crisp, about 3-5 minutes. During the last minute of cooking, generously squeeze lemon juice all over the beans and add reserved bacon. Remove beans from heat and add lemon zest. Toss to distribute. Serve immediately.
Recipe tips: If using the smaller French green beans, adjust your sauté time down a minute or two. This dish is a great swap out for heavy green bean casserole during the holidays – trust us, you won’t miss it.