Lamb Shepherd’s Pie
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 6
With a traditional mix of ground lamb, aromatic vegetables, rich sauce, and creamy cheddar mashed potatoes, this shepherd’s pie is both ultra-comforting and easy to make.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2”chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup half & half
- 3 ounces Irish cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- Neutral oil, we used avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 pounds Ground Lamb or Grass-fed Ground Lamb
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 container Veal Demi-Glace
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot of salted water, boil potatoes until very tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain well and return back to the pot. Add butter. Mash potatoes until smooth; add half & half, cheddar, egg yolk, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold gently until evenly combined being careful not to overwork. Set aside, uncovered.
- In a large skillet over medium-high flame, heat about a tablespoon of oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery; saute until just softened, about 3-5 minutes then add garlic, thyme, and rosemary; saute about 2 minutes more. Remove vegetable mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same pan add lamb; season with salt and pepper. Brown the lamb well, breaking up any large chunks with a spatula as needed. Add vegetables back to the pan and stir in tomato and anchovy pastes, coating well; cook for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir to combine; cook about 5 minutes more then stir in demi-glace and Worcestershire sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to low and simmer until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Spread the lamb mixture in a casserole dish in an even layer. Put dollops of the mashed potato mixture over the lamb and spread evenly using an off-set spatula. Using a fork, make hashmarks over the top of the potatoes. Place the casserole dish on a rimmed sheet pan and bake until the potatoes begin to brown, about 25-30 minutes. Rest shepherd’s pie for at least 10 minutes before serving.