Truffled Grits with Ham
D'Artagnan | Yield: 8 | Cook Time: 30 MINUTES
This easy recipe for cornmeal and cream features truffles and smoked ham. Inspired by escaoutoun, a traditional Gascon dish, it's a D'Artagnan favorite.
- 7 ounces of cornmeal, coarse ground
- 2 6.5-ounce containers of duck demi-glace
- 4 cups of water
- ½ pint heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons black truffle butter
- 1 Berkshire Pork Ham Steak, finely diced
- 2 ounces of summer truffle peelings
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring demi-glace and water to a boil. While whisking, pour cornmeal into the liquid in a steady stream. Reduce to light simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add ½ pint heavy cream, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt truffle butter, then add diced ham. Sauté lightly until browned and crispy, then add to the cornmeal mix, stir in the truffle pieces and parsley. Taste, then season with salt and pepper.