Grilled Swordfish Kebabs with Chermoula
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: Serves 2 - 4
With its firm flesh and steak-like quality swordfish is perfect for these kebabs, served with greens, peppers, and herbaceous chermoula - a North African marinade traditionally paired with grilled fish. Scale down and use extra-long toothpicks to make these into passed hors d’oeuvres, and be sure to reserve extra chermoula on the side as a dipping sauce.
- 2 swordfish steaks
- ½ lb mini sweet peppers, halved
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup neutral olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- zest of half a lemon
- Remove swordfish packaging, place on a paper towel-lined plate or tray on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator. Allow about 12 hours, and once thawed, give a good pat-down with paper towels to remove any remaining moisture before cooking.
- In a food processor combine lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, cilantro, parsley, and lemon zest. Blend until completely combined and a sauce-like consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove skin from swordfish steak and cut into cubes about 1½ inches thick. Place cubed swordfish in a container and toss with chermoula, taking care to coat the fish on all sides (reserve remaining chermoula to serve on the side as a dipping sauce). Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Thread the swordfish cubes on bamboo sticks or metal skewers. Make large kebabs for entrees or mini skewers as an appetizer or passed hors d'oeuvres. Sprinkle the skewers with salt and pepper on all sides.;
- Toss the sweet peppers with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- On a well-greased grill (or grill pan) over medium heat, arrange the sweet peppers, starting cut-side down arranged on one side of the grill, and turn as they begin to brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the peppers, then add kebabs to the other side of the grill. These will cook very quickly so it is important to work fast. Once placed on the grill, turn 3 times, giving each side a chance to come in contact with the grill, but no more than one minute on each side.
- Take the kebabs off the grill first, followed by the peppers, and serve with extra chermoula on the side as a dipping sauce.