D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 4
Great for lunch, brunch, or a light dinner, a classic croque monsieur should be in everyone’s cooking repertoire. Our French bistro ham will give you authentic results.
- 4 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg, to taste
- 8 slices Pain de Campagne
- 8 thin slices Berkshire Pork Bistro Ham
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 ounces young Fontina cheese, grated
- Cornichons, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt truffle butter. Add flour and whisk frequently until mixture turns golden brown and foamy, about 4 minutes. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until smooth and thickened, about 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard; season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Lay all eight slices of country bread on a sheet pan. Spread each slice with a thick coating of béchamel in an even layer. On four of the slices, top béchamel with ham slices and half of the cheese. Lay the béchamel-only slices on top and spread the rest of the cheese over the béchamel.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the tops of the sandwiches are golden brown and crusty, about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately, with cornichons and baby greens dressed with vinaigrette.