Frozen / 8 lb minimum (Serves 6-9*)
This product is currently unavailable.
Our capons are humanely raised in free-range conditions with full access to open fields, and allowed to grow at a natural rate, with no growth stimulants ever used. The specialized farms that raise our capons focus on the best animal welfare practices and geld the roosters with traditional surgical methods at a young age. Bigger than a hen, with a broad breast, the capon makes the perfect special occasion bird. It's quite common to find roasted capon at the Christmas table in both France and Italy.
*Servings based on 1.25 pounds per person.
Just the facts
- Humanely-raised on small family farms
- Surgically, not chemically, caponized
- Free-ranged, with natural light
- All-vegetarian grain and corn diet, pure spring water
- No hormones, no growth stimulants
- Raised to 12-14 weeks of age
- Hand processed to assure quality
- Farm-to-table audit trail
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Product of USA
Cooking & Serving
Cooking Methods: Roast, Poach, Barbecue, Smoke
Cooking Tips: Capons require longer cooking times than typical chickens because of their larger size. A 7-pound capon will yield 6 to 8 single servings. If you make stuffing, allow 1/2 cup per serving. Be careful not to over stuff the bird. Cook any excess stuffing in a separate baking dish. When roasting, put the bird into the oven legs first to position the dark meat towards the back, the hottest part of the oven. Rest a capon for 20-30 minutes before carving.