Asian-Style Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 8 | Cook Time: 18 minutes
In this recipe, crispy fried chicken wings get tossed with an Asian-style sweet, tangy and spicy sauce to make the perfect appetizer for your next get-together.
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds Organic Air-Chilled Chicken Wings, tips discarded, wings cut in half at the joint
- 3/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek, or Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 6 scallions, green and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 fresh red Thai chili, seeded and cut into slivers
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over moderately high flame, heat 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour and cornstarch. Season well with salt and pepper. Add the wings to the bag (in batches, if necessary), shake well to coat. Transfer the wings to a mesh strainer set over a bowl and shake to remove any excess flour mixture. Fry the wings (in batches, if necessary) until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile make the wing sauce: in a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together sweet chili sauce and sambal oelek. When the wings are finished cooking, place into the bowl. Toss well to coat evenly. Add scallions and Thai chili. Serve immediately.