Angus Beef Outside Skirt Steak
All-natural Angus beef outside skirt steak, equivalent to Choice-Plus grade, from cattle that are pasture-raised on a 100% vegetarian diet, with no antibiotics, hormones or steroids. Our cooperative of ranchers is committed to strict protocols of humane animal husbandry, raising the cattle with care, resulting in high-quality beef with rich flavor.
Just the facts
- 100% natural beef from Angus cattle
- No growth hormones, steroids or antibiotics
- Raised on pasture
- 100% vegetarian diet of barley, corn and hay
- Equivalent to Choice-Plus graded beef
- Wet aged a minimum of 21 days
- Ships in an uncooked state
- Product of USA
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
This cut demands a little attention from the cook in the way of trimming, but rewards with its tenderness and depth of flavor. There is a membrane and some fat that must be removed before cooking.
Plumper than the inside skirt, and long and narrow, the outside skirt steak has a lot of surface to take on a lovely sear. Marinate it, and cook it hot and fast, leaving it medium rare, or it will get too tough.
When it comes to fajitas, the most authentic cut of beef to use is the outside skirt steak. The very name “fajita” means “little belt,” referring to the shape of this cut.
Back in the day, the vaqueros (cowboys) in Texas received this little known or respected cut as part of their wages. They marinated the beef in lime juice to tenderize it and then grilled it over an open fire. Thinly sliced and served on flour tortillas, the fajita they invented became a popular dish in Tex-Mex cuisine.