Veal Chops with Paprika Cream
Deana Sidney | Yield: 4
This delicious (and surprisingly easy) veal dish by blogger, Deana Sidney, was adapted from the 1907 Ali-Bab cookbook, Gastronomie Practique.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/4 cups dried bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Veal Demi-Glace, plus 3 tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika, plus more to taste, if desired
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 4 Veal Chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter and flour. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in ½ cup water, demi-glace and herb sprigs. Add salt, pepper and paprika to taste and cook for a few moments till thickened, set aside.
- Season the chops with salt and pepper then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add a bit of oil then sear the chops until browned, about 2 minutes each side. Finish cooking gently for 5 minutes in the sauce: remove the chops for a moment and add the cream into the pan, remove the herb sprigs. Put the chops back in the sauce and serve.