Shawarma Spiced Lamb Loin
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 4
Try this easy recipe for tender lamb loin with a warm Middle Eastern-style spice rub. Serve thinly sliced over basmati rice pilaf, with a simple salad, or in warm pita with tabbouleh, fattoush, tahini, and pickled vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ whole star anise
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed
- ¼ teaspoon whole cardamom
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried sumac
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed into a paste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup grapeseed or other neutral oil + more for pan
- 2 Pasture-Raised Boneless Lamb Loins
- Coarse salt
- In a skillet over medium heat, add peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, fennel seed, cumin seed, coriander seed, and cardamom. Dry roast spices until fragrant, about 2 minutes; be mindful not to burn. Remove pan from heat then stir in nutmeg, ginger, and paprika. Transfer warm spices to a spice grinder and process into a powder. Add spice mix to a small bowl; stir in sumac, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of oil.
- Using a sharp paring knife score the fat-side of each lamb loin in a cross-hatch pattern; be careful not to cut through the flesh. Coat lamb loins with spice mixture, massaging into the fat and covering each loin evenly. Marinate at room temperature for an hour, or in the refrigerator overnight. (If marinating in the refrigerator, remove lamb loins 30-45 minutes before cooking to take the chill off.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large, oven-safe skillet or cast iron pan, over medium-high flame. Add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. When pan is hot, place lamb loins fat-side-down and sear, about 2 minutes. Turn loins over and place pan in oven. Cook until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees F for medium-rare, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from oven and rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing.