Roast Turkey with Black Truffle Butter
Ariane carefully separates the skin from a D'Artagnan organic turkey and covers the meaty turkey breast with discs of creamy black truffle butter, which slowly melt into the meat as the turkey roasts. This technique adds flavor and helps keep the breasts juicy.
- Take turkey out of fridge about an hour before you plan to roast. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Season the cavity of the bird liberally with salt and pepper.
- Using your fingers, carefully pull skin away from breast and leg meat, being careful not to puncture the skin. Slice rounds of the black truffle butter and slide under the skin, making sure to place the rounds evenly under the skin.
- Place a few confit garlic cloves inside the cavity and truss bird. Season the bird liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey in a V-rack in a large roasting pan, breast-side-up, and roast for 30 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to roast for 15 to 16 minutes per pound, for an unstuffed bird. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh will register 175 degrees F. The breast will cook to 165 degrees F.
- Remove turkey from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.