Kalbi Style Grilled Hanger Steak
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 2
Create the smoky sweet flavors of your favorite Korean hibachi restaurant at home with this super easy recipe.
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup rice wine, or dry sherry
- ½ white onion, roughly chopped
- ½ Asian pear, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon gochujang pepper paste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Angus Beef Hanger Steak, cleaned and trimmed (about 1 lb.)
- Neutral oil, for grilling
- Make the marinade: in a blender, combine all of the ingredients, except the hanger steak and oil for grilling. Puree until smooth. Pour the marinade in a non-reactive container and add the steak, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a lightly oiled grill or indoor grill pan to high. Remove the steak from the marinade (discard remaining marinade) and grill to desired doneness, about 4-5 minutes each side for medium-rare. Remove steak to cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve with rice and your favorite vegetable.