D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 4
This burger brings the best of the biergarten to your table. Pretzel buns, thick cut slab bacon, crispy shallots, grainy mustard, and our juicy Angus beef is smothered in beer cheese sauce. We’d definitely recommend extra napkins with this one.
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil
- 4 slices Slab Bacon, about ¼” thick
- 24 ounces Angus Ground Beef
- Grainy mustard
- 4 pretzel burger buns
FOR THE BEER CHEESE
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces beer, we used brown ale
- 3 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon your favorite hot sauce
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Make the crispy shallots: combine shallots and milk in a small bowl, turning to coat; let sit for about 10 minutes. In another small bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, smoked paprika, and cayenne; season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge shallots in flour mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Remove shallots to a plate. In a small heavy saucepan, heat an inch of peanut oil to 350 degrees F. Fry the shallots in batches, until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until done to your liking. Drain on paper towel, set aside.
- Gently form four 6-ounce patties, being careful not to over work the meat. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper. Cook your patties to desired doneness (we recommend medium-rare), using a hot oiled grill or pre-heated, lightly-greased cast iron pan. Allow patties to rest on a cutting board, for about 5 minutes.
- While burgers rest, make the beer cheese: combine cheese and cornstarch in a medium bowl, toss to coat; set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together beer, evaporated milk, mustard, and Worchestershire sauce. Being careful not to scorch, cook until mixture is warm throughout and is steaming. Stir in cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and smooth and mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Stir in hot sauce and season with salt, to taste.
- Toast buns. Dress with lettuce and grainy mustard. Add patties, slab bacon, crispy shallots, and top with beer cheese sauce. Serve immediately with extra beer cheese on the side.